Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Bumpy ride

Instead of hearing about my trades after they are closed, how about examining and inspecting one while it is in progress?  Get your protective wear on.  Goggles and gown advised; it's a gross specimen.

July 17th UVXY 52 calls sold to open at $3.15 on Monday, June 29th

And that pic is from yesterday.  Were I inclined to update it, you'd see the mountain range rise again to approximately the worried-face level.

I'd enjoy documenting only the slam-dunk sha-zing/sha-zam results, but that leaves out the details on the "work" (er...  worry) in between.  What fun would that be, to see the finished plates coming out of the kitchen on an ornate tray, and not see the cook behind the swinging doors cursing and running around with a red face?  Some of those seamless-appearing trades farther down the blog look like they were born winners, but really it took some fancy footwork before they crossed the finish line in the black.  See if you can untangle them, based on dates, if you'd like to re-create the adventure (a prime example being a bunch of short SVXY calls in the 90 or so range that needed covering, and turned out to produce gains due to advantageously-timed purchase and sale of shares, despite share price breaching the strike and exceeding it by several dollars.)

By the way,  I never set out to do anything exciting.  My goal is to end with more money than I started with.  I like to set up a challenging puzzle for myself with a cash prize at the end.  If I have to pay to play the game, then I wrecked the puzzle.  If I make a few dollars, then I solved it. That's all I'm trying to do.  Sometimes my eyes get bleary and my brain gets weary from watching the scrolling green and red numbers and hearing the barrage of insights from every pundit on the internet who has a great idea on how things "should" be done.  I listen to just about all of it because I think I might learn something - and oftentimes I do - but ultimately, I have to focus on pretty much one thing at a time and remember that my goal is to get across the street without being hit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you think about this.