Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Present your ticket to exit the ride

What to do when the market resembles a bunch of hills and valleys, and you feel like you're just one in a steady stream of confused, disoriented foot travelers trying not to get robbed along the wooded trail? One idea is to try to pick up the cash others didn't secure carefully while on their hurrying way, and hope you don't get pick-pocketed by those overtaking you who are faster and smarter.

Yesterday (Monday, September 19th), I jumped right in with a mixture of false courage and resolve not to look at the wound as I initiated attempts to capitalize on the fall of XIV that I continue to believe is coming, if not in large, long-range scale, then in a daily scale I can trade in and out of.


The trades detailed on the above daily log are not in sequential order, but each lot is listed along with any additional lot that was eventually closed together.  To make things simple (on myself; I do this for my mathematical sanity), I may "leg in" but I never "leg out."  I just close the trade when I feel I should or must.  Instances of the word "OUT" on the blue chart are five; I closed trades that many times, and in addition, had a UVXY trade not shown on the chart.  All positions were short sales.



The circle denotes the biggest mistake I made all day.  While feeling like a terrible trader (see the grand total for the day being just a bill for $83), I analyzed the day's mistakes and saw that while I booked a few losses, only one of those was really understandable and due to forces I couldn't anticipate quickly enough; the others were due to my own greed and denial (allowing losses to grow because I was tired of being stopped out for even, which happened several times, as shown by the one-digit result figures).  But the biggest mistake of all didn't involve a loss - it involved the failure to take what would have been a very rewarding gain.  To wit:

The encircled area shows the trades, entered shortly after noon and closed at 1:13PM.  My average basis on those was 34.63, and with 1600 shares at work, I closed the trade at 34.29 for a respectable profit of $522.  But I sat and actually watched the lower prices transpire and I did nothing, due to a desire for even bigger profits (understandable, but unwise to be too strongly influenced by); if I had it to do over again, I would have taken some kind of profit on the hike back up the reversal hill.  The low point was 33.58.  I would have booked a $1,680 gain.  Who can time exact bottoms, though?  Most are not so lucky.  Any point along that jagged climb back up would have benefited me: an exit price of 33.70 would have brought in $1,488; 33.80 would have served up $1,328 and 34 even would have given me roughly a thousand dollars.  I'm not sure what went through my head when I finally closed that out, but I know I wasn't very happy to see a positive $500 and a negative $500 mocking me like a pair of profit-eating bookends squeezing my collection of trades for the day into a thin, insubstantial, non-noteworthy gain/loss.

Moving on to the next day (today, September 20th as I write this), I rolled up my sleeves and got to work.  My plan was to keep these three things in mind: 1. Limit sharply any trades that might take off in the wrong direction from the outset, by pre-determining a damage-limiting stop (in my head and on paper. Whether I'd really adhere to that intention or not is an unknown); 2. Set stops to protect capital once a trade has moved a reasonable amount in the right direction (and I did that, and the stops executed an annoying number of times); and 3. Take sizeable profits and not lose them to unreasonable and unrealistic greed.  It is very hard for me to accept that I cannot make maximum profit on every trade, and I feel like someone stole both my lunch money and my lunch when I get out of a trade and think of those fictional "other people" (who exist mainly in my imagination) cheering and making way more money on their trades that started exactly the same as mine did, in the alternate reality world where great traders are cashing in while I got out too soon.


Five times in a row over the course of the long day I was stopped out for what amounted to be a nominal loss on the day before my next trades achieved profitable status.  An XIV short that went against me to the tune of a potential -$780 finally closed for a profit of $229.  A UVXY short that went against me as a painfully proposed -$680 finally came around and presented positive dollars, so I grabbed 980 of them.  (There were better profits to be had, and I let them tick by, but at least I grabbed a big handful before the dessert cart rolled away.)

Food metaphors come from the fact that I hardly ate while monitoring all of this, and eating is all I've done since, while typing this up.  Not detailed above are the uncertainty and second-guessing involved throughout managing these trades.  Lists make it look simple and charts make it look brief but the ever-changing ups and downs caused anguish at times. At the end of the day I was glad to present my final ticket and get off the ride (only to get on again tomorrow, most likely).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you think about this.